History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Dornford Farmhouse and Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Wootton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8817 / 51°52'54"N

Longitude: -1.3488 / 1°20'55"W

OS Eastings: 444921

OS Northings: 220552

OS Grid: SP449205

Mapcode National: GBR 7VY.V51

Mapcode Global: VHCX0.KYTV

Entry Name: Lower Dornford Farmhouse and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Last Amended: 29 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052906

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252964

Location: Wootton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wootton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOOTTON DORNFORD
SP42SW
3/309 Lower Dornford Farmhouse and
27/08/57 attached barn
(Formerly listed as Lower
Dornford Farmhouse)
GV II
Farmhouse. c.1800. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled concrete tile roof; brick
end stacks. Central-staircase plan. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range.
Semi-circular arch over early C19 six-panelled (2 glazed) door with fine
decorative fanlight. Flat stone arches over mid/late C19 tripartite and 3-pane
sashes. Gabled roof dormers. Lower 2-storey range to left, with brick end stack,
has cambered arches over C20 door and window. Flat stone arch over doorway to
passage through to rear dairy outshut. C18 six-panelled door to rear of house.
Interior: early C19 dog-leg with landing staircase with stick balusters. Mid C18
panelling with cupboards and moulded cornice in room to right. C18 and C19
panelled doors. Range to left has mid C18 panelled door to straight-flight
stairs. Subsidiary features: 5-bay barn attached to left, with gabled stone
slate roof, has mid/late C19 roof structure. On site of deserted medieval
settlement and large manor house demolished c.1800.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p269; National Monuments Record)


Listing NGR: SP4492120552

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.