History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Steeple Barton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9208 / 51°55'14"N

Longitude: -1.3496 / 1°20'58"W

OS Eastings: 444824

OS Northings: 224896

OS Grid: SP448248

Mapcode National: GBR 7VK.FMH

Mapcode Global: VHCWT.KZCD

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052931

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252924

Location: Steeple Barton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Steeple Barton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Steeple Barton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ledwell

Listing Text

STEEPLE BARTON CHURCH LANE
SP42SW
(East side)
3/270
Church of St. Mary
27/08/57

GV II*
Church. Early C14 and C15, with C15 west tower; restored 1850 by Buckler.
Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; stone-coped gabled
artificial stone slate roof. Chancel and aisled nave with west tower. Two-bay
chancel has mid C19 reticulated 3-light Perpendicular-style windows to south,
and vestry with similar window and octagonal stone stack to north. 3-bay nave
has pointed arched doorway and similar windows to north, and similar windows and
2-light Decorated-style west window to south aisle. Mid C19 gabled south porch:
hood mould with head stops over early C14 pointed moulded south doorway with
jamb shafts. 2-stage crenellated west tower: 3-light Perpendicular west window
above arched and square-headed doorway with quatrefoil spandrels; offset corner
buttresses, and upper stage of ironstone; offset corner buttresses, and upper
stage of ironstone with hood moulds over stone-louvred 2-light windows with
arched lights and sunk spandrels. Interior: chancel has Minton tile floor, and
mid C19 arch-braced roof supported on corbels of carved angels. Mid C19 chancel
arch. Early C14 five-bay south arcade has hood moulds with head stops over
double-chamfered arches supported on octagonal piers with carved heads, one with
linking arms, to 3 capitals. Mid C19 arch-braced nave roof, with 3 early C14
head corbels to NE. South aisle has similar roof with 2 early C14 head corbels,
an early C14 Decorated piscina, and a fluted C12 tub font with moulded base. C15
tower arch. C17 and C18 ledger stones. Mid C19 fittings, and stained glass in
chancel.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p788; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, pp73-4;
National Monuments Record)


Listing NGR: SP4482424896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.