This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8397 / 51°50'22"N
Longitude: -1.4012 / 1°24'4"W
OS Eastings: 441349
OS Northings: 215843
OS Grid: SP413158
Mapcode National: GBR 7WG.LKR
Mapcode Global: VHBZX.N1L1
Entry Name: Combe House and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 27 August 1957
Last Amended: 29 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252702
Location: Combe, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Combe
Built-Up Area: Combe
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Combe Longa
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
17/48 Combe House and attached wall
27/08/57 (Formerly listed as Combe
Rectory, now house. Early C17 to rear; mainly c.1812. Coursed limestone rubble,
with dressed stone and ashlar to front; gabled stone slate roofs, with some
Welsh slate; moulded Georgian-style end and lateral stone ashlar stacks.
Courtyard plan. Early C19 Tudor/Gothick Revival style. 2-storey, 3-window range
front. 2-light stone-mullioned and cinquefoil-headed windows with 4-pane sashes;
similar windows in 2-storey canted bay to left. Label moulds continued as string
course beneath parapet. Similar bay window and attached doorway in right gable
end. Similar windows in parapeted gable end of wing to right, which has early
C19 label moulds over 2 plank doors, and early C19 mullioned windows. Wing to
left has segmental-arched stair-windows, and early C19 label moulds over C20
windows. Crenellated parapets to side wings. Rear wing has crow-stepped gables,
an early C19 two-centred arched doorway; hood moulds over C17 five-light leaded
ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window and similar early C19 four-light windows.
Interior: dog-leg staircase to left with stick balusters. Gothick plaster
cornices and stone fireplaces. Panelled doors. C17 chamfered beams and
collar-truss roof in rear wing. Subsidiary features: L-shaped wall attached to
rear left corner, of limestone rubble with ashlar coping, is approximately 27 x
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp552-3; National Monuments Record)
Listing NGR: SP4134915843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings