This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8324 / 51°49'56"N
Longitude: -1.3968 / 1°23'48"W
OS Eastings: 441660
OS Northings: 215041
OS Grid: SP416150
Mapcode National: GBR 7WN.1P7
Mapcode Global: VHBZX.Q6XL
Entry Name: Combe Mill
Listing Date: 29 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053004
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252704
Location: Combe, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Combe
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Combe Longa
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1700/17/325 COMBE MILL
Sawmill. Built by 1852 for Blenheim estate. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled concrete tile roof. 2 storeys.
EXTERIOR: Front gable has keyed segmental arch over C20 first-floor door, stone lintel over C20 window to left and C20 door below. To right, a large round chimney adjoins bell cupola set in octagonal pyramidal-roofed stair-turret. Long 8-window range to rear, with timber lintels over 2 plank doors, loft door, and mid/late-C19 casements to right side wall. Keyed segmental arches over openings on left side wall.
INTERIOR: The internal machinery is complete and includes a rare surviving example of 1852 A-frame steam engine with Cornish boiler and fuel store connected by line shafting to the rear room where there are bellows and a mid-C19 forge and grinding wheel, and upstairs to the mid-C19 wood lathe. Dual-drive water wheel to rear with 1926 breast fed 'poncelet' water wheel.
Listed at Grade II* for its complete and working set of machinery including the 1852 beam engine and boiler, line shafting and gearing, forge and lathe, which altogether is a rare survival of importance in a national context, and of interest as an originally dual powered mill whereby water or steam power could be used depending on the water supply. It is also architecturally distinguished externally and has historical and group value within the Blenheim estate.
Listing NGR: SP4166015041
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings