History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Bladon, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8303 / 51°49'48"N

Longitude: -1.3495 / 1°20'58"W

OS Eastings: 444924

OS Northings: 214827

OS Grid: SP449148

Mapcode National: GBR 7WQ.7MT

Mapcode Global: VHCXD.K8F8

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 29 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252656

Location: Bladon, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bladon

Built-Up Area: Bladon

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bladon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bladon

Listing Text

BLADON CHURCH STREET
SP4414 (East side)
20/3 Church of St. Martin
GV II
Church. Medieval; rebuilt 1804 and remodelled 1891 by A.W. Blomfield. Limestone
ashlar; stone-coped gabled concrete-tile roof. Chancel with north chapel, aisled
nave and west tower. Decorated-style 3-light east windows; buttressed 3-bay
south wall has foliated round window and cusped one-light windows;
Perpendicular-style 2-light window to north and 2 cusped lights to north chapel.
Nave: 3 gabled bays with 2-light Decorated-style windows to north; two similar
bays and buttress with C14 tracery set in gable to south, and Decorated-style
south porch. 3-stage west tower has Decorated-style 2-light belfry windows and
embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Interior: late C19 chapel and chancel
arches. 4-bay timber arcade with arch-braced roof. Late C19 stained glass.
Formerly the parish church of Woodstock. Sir Winston Churchill is buried in the
churchyard.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp849; Bodleian Library, Topographical
Drawings; National Monuments Record)


Listing NGR: SP4492414827

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.