History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's Close

A Grade II Listed Building in Witney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7816 / 51°46'53"N

Longitude: -1.4841 / 1°29'2"W

OS Eastings: 435685

OS Northings: 209346

OS Grid: SP356093

Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.9KW

Mapcode Global: VHC02.7H81

Entry Name: St Mary's Close

Listing Date: 6 February 1970

Last Amended: 3 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053045

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252598

Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Witney

Built-Up Area: Witney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Witney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SP3509S (East side)
11/27 No.27 (St. Mary's Close)
06/02/70 (Formerly listed as No.27
(Marriot's Close). Wing, to
south of No.27)
GV II

Includes No.1, Farm Mill Lane.
House, now 2 dwellings. Mid C18 (c.1730); mid C19 alterations. Limestone ashlar
front with rusticated ground floor; coursed rubble to sides and rear. Hipped
-tone slate roof; end stacks of stone finished in brick. Central-staircase plan.
2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range. Mid C19 panelled double-leaf
door with fanlight set in keyed arch and open-pedimented architrave with scroll
brackets. Mid C19 plate-glass sashes set in keyed and raised architraves. Raised
storey band; moulded cornice to parapet; 2 hipped roof dormers with C20
three-light casements. Rear: mid C19 extension (for stairs) adjoins rear right
wing with late C19 bay window. Interior: hall has mid C18 panelled doors set in
fine pedimented architraves. Room to left has fine fielded panelling and
fireplace, with fluted pilasters and bolection-moulded overmantle. Fine dog-leg
with landing staircase to rear, of c.1730 but remodelled mid C19, has turned
balusters and ramped handrail. Quarter-turn service stairs to right.
First-floor: room to right has panelled dado and panelled overmantle over
moulded stone fireplace. C17 quartered chamfered beams to right. Butt-purlin
roof. C18 two-window range to right has 6-panelled door and C19 casements in
raised architraves. Wing at right angles to right: late C18, of similar
materials with hipped roof to front; of one storey and attic; 3-window range
with C20 door and casements and gabled half dormers; plank doors to coach house
at front; left has Gothick 2-light leaded casements and panelled door with
Sothick overlight.


Listing NGR: SP3568509346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.