This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7809 / 51°46'51"N
Longitude: -1.4854 / 1°29'7"W
OS Eastings: 435597
OS Northings: 209267
OS Grid: SP355092
Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.988
Mapcode Global: VHC02.6HLL
Entry Name: Group of 6 Chest Tombs Approximately 15 Metres, 12 Metres and 10 Metres North of North Transept of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 3 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053047
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252602
Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Witney
Built-Up Area: Witney
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Witney
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SP35095 (South side)
11/44 Group of 6 chest tombs approx.
l5m., 12m. and l0m. N of N
transept of Church of St. Mary
6 chest tombs, Chest tomb approximately 15 metres north. Dated 1803. Limestone.
Plain, with raised plinth and moulded cornice. Chest tomb approximately 12
metres north. Mid C18. Limestone. Plain, with splayed cornice. Commemorates
Thomas Collins, d.1788 and another Thomas, d,1829. 4 chest tombs approximately
10 metres north. Early/mid C18. Limestone. Mid C18 tomb to south-west has
cavetto-moulded plinth and cornice and fielded inscription panels, Early C18
Collins tomb to east has deep cyma-moulded plinth and cornice. Early C18 tomb to
south-east has raised corner pilasters, revealed inscription panel and moulded
cornices. Mid C18 tomb to north-east has winged cherub's heads and rosettes to
pilasters flanking revealed inscription panel; moulded plinth and cornice.
Listing NGR: SP3559509271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings