History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 3 Chest Tombs Approximately 24 Metres and 17 Metres North East of North Transept of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Witney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7812 / 51°46'52"N

Longitude: -1.485 / 1°29'5"W

OS Eastings: 435626

OS Northings: 209291

OS Grid: SP356092

Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.9CH

Mapcode Global: VHC02.6HTF

Entry Name: Group of 3 Chest Tombs Approximately 24 Metres and 17 Metres North East of North Transept of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 3 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053049

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252605

Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Witney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Witney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SFS5119S (South side)
11/49 Group of 3 chest tombs approx.
24m. and 17m. NE of N transept
of Church if St. Mary
GV II

3 chest tombs. Large chest tomb approximately 24 metres north-east. Mid C18
(c.1770). Limestone. Two winged cherubs heads above rococo cartouche; flanking
pilasters have carved foliate trails; end panel has foliate sprays with heraldic
crest; moulded plinth, cornice and top. Two chest tombs approximately 17 metres
north-east. Late C18 and early Cl9. Limestone. Tomb to north, with fluted
pilasters and moulded cornice and top, has dates 1792, 1753 and 1772 (surname
illegible). Tomb to south has beaded pilaster and inscription panels, and
moulded plinth, cornice and top( commemorates John ShutfreY, d.1812, son John,
d.1804, and wife Mary, d.1810, and others.


Listing NGR: SP3562609291

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.