History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 9 Chest Tombs Approximately 20-30 Metres South West of South Transept of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Witney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7803 / 51°46'49"N

Longitude: -1.485 / 1°29'6"W

OS Eastings: 435623

OS Northings: 209195

OS Grid: SP356091

Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.9CS

Mapcode Global: VHC02.6JS2

Entry Name: Group of 9 Chest Tombs Approximately 20-30 Metres South West of South Transept of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 3 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252618

Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Witney

Built-Up Area: Witney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Witney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

WITNEY CHURCH GREEN
SP3509S (South side)
11/68 Group of 9 chest tombs approx.
20-30m. SW of S transept of
Church of St. Mary
GV
II

9 chest tombs. Chest tomb approximately 28 metres south-west. Early C19.
Limestone. Fielded pilaster panel flanks beaded revealed inscription panel;
moulded plinth, cornice and top. Commemorates Wilkinson family, including
William and George. Chest tomb approximately 30 metres south-west. Late C18.
Limestone. Unusual shape with concave sides and corner balusters; moulded
plinth, cornice and top. Commemorates Daniel Dalton, d.1813, wife Anne. d.1790.
Chest tomb approximately 23metres south-west. Limestone. Raised pilasters, with
spiral foliate and rose carvings, flank inscription panel with winged angel's
head. Commemorates Mary Collier, d.1755; reverse side has fluted pilasters
flanking fielded central paenel; moulded plinth and cornice. Two chest tombs
approximitely 20 metres south-west. Early C19 and mid C18. Limestone.
Sarcophagus-shaped tomb to north commemorates Thomas Castle and others. Mid C18
tomb to south has cavetto-moulded ribs to revealted panels, corner balusters and
moulded plinth and cornice. Four C18 and C19 chest tombs are not of special
architectural interest.


Listing NGR: SP3562309195

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.