This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7844 / 51°47'3"N
Longitude: -1.4783 / 1°28'41"W
OS Eastings: 436086
OS Northings: 209653
OS Grid: SP360096
Mapcode National: GBR 6VS.52N
Mapcode Global: VHC02.BDCY
Entry Name: St Mary's Priory House the Priory
Listing Date: 3 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252644
Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Witney
Built-Up Area: Witney
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cogges
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
8/90 The Priory and St. Mary's
Priory, now vicarage. c.1150-80; mainly c.1230-50; remodelled and reduced in
size c. 1600-20. Uncoursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof; rear
lateral stack of stone finished in brick. Surviving C13 hall and services
remodelled as 2-unit plan with central passage in early C17. 2 storeys; two
blocks, including former hall to right, of 4-window range. Mid C13 pointed
lancet to right; hood moulds over narrow mid C17 sashes set in moulded stone
architraves; C20 door set in C17 pointed wall: hood moulds over mid Cl9
three-light window above early C17 cavetto-moulded stone-mullioned 4-light
window; C13 windows with dressed stone surrounds, one blocked. Interior: C13
hall to right has pointed chamfered rere-arches of former windows to front and
right; mid C13 common-rafter roof of very slight scantling with open notched-lap
joints to braced collars. Jowled post and some timber framing remains of C13
timber screen to left of hall and flanking service passage; rear of passage has
hollow-chamfered jambs of C13 door, with half-pyramid stops; 2 doorways with
chamfered stone jambs to rear. C17 stop-chamfered beams, and moulded stone
fireplace with spit rack to left. St. Mary's Priory House to right: built 1859.
Squared and coursed linestone; gabled stone slate roof; stone end stacks.
Double-depth plan. Elizabethan style. 2 storeys and attic; triple-gabled
3-window range. Canted bay window with sashes to right. Hood moulds over 2-light
stone-mullioned windows with narrow mid C19 sashes. Entry to rear, Interior not
inspected. History: The Priory was founded in 1103 as a daughter house of Fecamp
Abbey. The roof is similar to the C13 roof of poles and small timbers at The Old
Rectory, Standlake (q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.551; J. Blair and J.M. Steane,
"Investigations at Cogges, Oxfordshire, 1978-81: The Priory and Parish Church",
0xanensia, Vol.47, (1982)).
Listing NGR: SP3608709650
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings