History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Staple Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Witney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7905 / 51°47'25"N

Longitude: -1.4805 / 1°28'49"W

OS Eastings: 435925

OS Northings: 210333

OS Grid: SP359103

Mapcode National: GBR 6VL.QJ1

Mapcode Global: VHC02.9857

Entry Name: Staple Hall

Listing Date: 14 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252570

Location: Witney, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX28

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Witney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Witney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

WITNEY BRIDGE STREET
SP3510SE (East side)
9/1 No.2 (Staple Hall)
14/05/52
GV II

Inn. now nursing home. Early-/mid C17. Coursed limestone rubble; stucco front.
Gabled stone slate roof; left end stack of stone finished in brick and brick
ridge stacks. 2-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; double-gabled 4-window range.
Late C19 six-panelled (4 glazed) door: late C18 stone porch has open pediment on
Tuscan columns. Late C18 six-pane sashes, and late C19 three-light casements to
attic. Rear: early C18 sash window with thick glazing bars; C19 central wing;
late C17 two-storey wing of similar materials to left. Interior: stop-chamfered
beams; open fireplace with bressumer. Early C19 dog-leg with landing staircase
to rear. Collar-truss roof with butt purlins. Said to have been built in 1668
for William Townsend and his wife Ursula Marriott a favourite meeting house of
the Company of Blanket Weavers before the Blanket Hall was built in 1721.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.850: National Monuments Record K. Steane,
"The Public Houses of Witney", Record of Witney, No.5 (1978), pp.17-18).


Listing NGR: SP3592510333

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.