History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tawney's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7422 / 51°44'31"N

Longitude: -1.3831 / 1°22'59"W

OS Eastings: 442691

OS Northings: 205007

OS Grid: SP426050

Mapcode National: GBR 7XM.R44

Mapcode Global: VHC09.ZG5T

Entry Name: Tawney's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252395

Location: Stanton Harcourt, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanton Harcourt

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton Harcourt

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Eynsham

Listing Text

STANTON HARCOURT
SP40NW, SP40SW
8/311, 11/311 Tawney's Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Datestone 1647 to left; extended early/mid C18; C20 alterations.
Coursed limestone rubble, with C18 brick to rear left and C20 brick in left
gable; gabled stone slate roof; brick ridge stack, and C17 stone ridge
(originally end) stack. One-unit plan, extended to 3-unit lobby-entry plan. 2
storeys; 3-window range. Timber lintels (some C20) over C20 door with carved
brackets to pediment hood, and C20 windows; stone-slate perch and doveholes
under eaves and carried across right gable. C20 one-storey extension to right.
Rear wing of one-storey one-bay range: originally timber-framed, but walls
mainly rebuilt in C20; adjoins bread oven projection to left. Interior: kitchen
to right has reversed beam. Central room has chamfered beam to left. Left room
has chamfered beam and open fireplace, with heart-shaped steps to chamfered
bressumer as in the 1661 extension to The Old Rectory, Standlake (q.v.).
Collar-truss roof.


Listing NGR: SP4269105007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.