This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7479 / 51°44'52"N
Longitude: -1.3984 / 1°23'54"W
OS Eastings: 441631
OS Northings: 205638
OS Grid: SP416056
Mapcode National: GBR 7XM.79S
Mapcode Global: VHC09.QB3D
Entry Name: Pope's Tower Approximately 35 Metres South East of Harcourt House
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 17 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252405
Location: Stanton Harcourt, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Stanton Harcourt
Built-Up Area: Stanton Harcourt
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton Harcourt
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANTON HARCOURT HARCOURT HOUSE
21/321 Pope's Tower approx. 35m. SE
12/09/55 of Harcourt House
(Formerly listed as Pope's
Former chapel. c.1470-71, probably by William Orchard for Sir Robert Harcourt.
Limestone ashlar; roof not visible. 4-storey tower with nave, and 2-storey bay
with chancel to right. Eared architrave over keyed hollow-chamfered arched
doorway to C16 panelled doors, and hood moulds over two 2-light
cinquefoil-headed windows to nave and room above; offset buttress to right,
moulded cornice with gargoyles and octagonal crenellated stone stack. Tower has
hood moulds over one- and 2-light cinquefoil-headed windows, and square-headed
upper-lights. 3-light panel-tracery window to east (left). Crenellated parapet
with gargoyles beneath. Stair-turret to rear with slit lights and similar
parapet. Similar windows to sides and rear, and hood mould over late C15
four-centred hollow-chamfered rear doorway. Interior: chancel has a fan vault on
head corbels and hollow-chamfered chancel arch with quatrefoil spandrels. Nave
has quartered and moulded beams to panelled ceiling, originally painted, and
pointed arched doorway with plank door to stone newel stairs with similar
doorways and ancient plank doors. Room above nave has moulded beams and moulded
stone fireplace. Tower: early C17 panelling and similar stone fireplace. Tower:
early C17 panelling and similar stone fireplace in first-floor room, moulded
beam in room above, and late C17 bolection panelling in third-floor room.
Formerly attached to the parlour end of the medieval manor house, demolished
c.1750. The nave of the chapel was used by servants and was recorded (in 1818)
as having been decorated with red and gold to the beams and gold stars on a blue
ground to the panels. The family, assembled in the room above, could view the
altar through a squint (now blocked). The tower possibly provided lodgings for
the priest or lord's retainers, and its design is similar to those at Minster
Lovell Hall and at Magdalene College, Oxford, also by William Orchard. The tower
derives its name from Alexander Pope who stayed here in 1717-18, when he used
the upper room in the tower to translate the fifth volume of Homer's "lliad".
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.782; National Monuments Record; M. Wood,
The English Medieval House, 1965, pp.173-4, 239; Bodleian Library, M.S. Top,
Oxon for late C18 and C19 drawings).
Listing NGR: SP4163005638
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings