This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8719 / 51°52'18"N
Longitude: -1.4798 / 1°28'47"W
OS Eastings: 435910
OS Northings: 219387
OS Grid: SP359193
Mapcode National: GBR 6TM.QNY
Mapcode Global: VHBZP.96JT
Entry Name: Methodist Chapel and Adjoining School
Listing Date: 18 May 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254195
Location: Charlbury, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Charlbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Charlbury with Shorthampton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP3519 FISHER'S LANE
5/54 (North side)
Methodist Chapel and
Methodist Chapel and school. 1823 on gable of chapel; 1844 on school.
Coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Chapel has
central double doors in round arch flanked by round headed sash windows
with glazing bars, intersecting at heads. 3 similar first-floor windows
light the gallery at south end, all with plain stone architraves and
keyblocks. Gable parapet has stone coping and ball finial. Gable-fronted
school room has two 3-light stone mullioned and transomed on ground and
first floor. Diocletian window in gable with mock round-headed windows
with intersecting glazing bars to rear. Wesleyan Sunday School.
Inside, the lobby screen under the chapel gallery has raised and fielded
panels. The gallery with original tiered pews is supported on 2 wooden
columns and has stairs with square-section balusters. Match-boarded dado.
Original ceiling ventilors. Door from gallery leads onto first-floor
school room with match-boarded roof and tie-beam trusses with wooden
struts and iron ties.
Listing NGR: SP3591419388
Other nearby listed buildings