History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Downs Hollow

A Grade II Listed Building in Churchill, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9188 / 51°55'7"N

Longitude: -1.5433 / 1°32'36"W

OS Eastings: 431503

OS Northings: 224572

OS Grid: SP315245

Mapcode National: GBR 6SZ.LN6

Mapcode Global: VHBZG.61GC

Entry Name: Downs Hollow

Listing Date: 15 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253947

Location: Churchill, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Churchill

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Churchill

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text

CHURCHILL A361
SP32SW (West side)
8/45 Downs Hollow

- II

Entrance lodge. Circa 1830, probably by 6.S. Repton for James Houghton Langston;
extended late C20. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone
slate roofs with moulded coped verges. Double-depth plan with 2 gables to front
Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys. Two recessed chamfered 2-light mullion windows
linked by continuous hoodmould incorporating recessed blank armorial shield to
centre on first floor and cross-windows with dripstones to left and right on
ground floor. Central gabled ashlar porch with corbel table and half-glazed door
in outer shouldered arch. Small ogee-arched gable between 2 gables, right of
which slightly projects. Valley stacks to left and right each have 3 detached
diagonal shafts with moulded capping. 2-bay returns with recess for downpipe to
centre have 2-light mullions linked by continuous hoodmoulds continued from
front to first floor and segmental-headed mullioned and transomed bay windows in
3 lights to ground floor. All windows and door have leaded latticed lights. The
house is the former lodge to The Dower House (q.v.). (formerly Sarsgrove
Cottage) built for Langston by Repton in c.1825. Late C20 extension to rear is
not of special architectural interest.
[2487]


Listing NGR: SP3150324572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.