History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Morris Memorial Approximately 20 Metres South East of Chancel of Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelmscott, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6924 / 51°41'32"N

Longitude: -1.6406 / 1°38'26"W

OS Eastings: 424939

OS Northings: 199349

OS Grid: SU249993

Mapcode National: GBR 5V7.S1Q

Mapcode Global: VHC0C.JQ1J

Entry Name: Morris Memorial Approximately 20 Metres South East of Chancel of Church of St George

Listing Date: 30 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253819

Location: Kelmscott, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Kelmscott

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Buscot

Listing Text

KELMSCOTT
Morris memorial approx. 20m SE
SU2499-2599
10/67
of chancel of Church of St.
George
(Formerly listed as Tomb of
William Morris)
GV II

Churchyard memorial. 1896 by Philip Webb. Limestone. Curved ridge-shaped stone
supported by stone blocks to each end. Inscriptions on south side to William
Morris (1834-96) and Jane Morris (1839-1914) and on north side to their
daughters, Jane Alice Morris (1861-1935) and May Morris (1862-1938). It has been
suggested that the design of the tomb is based on the ridge-back type of Viking
funerary monument, but Webb may have derived his inspiration from a C17
gable-ended tomb also in Kelmscott churchyard (q.v. under Ford memorial, C18
chest tomb and two C17 monuments approximately 2 to 5 metres south of south
transept of Church of St. George).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p666; A.R. Dufty: Kelmscott, An Illustrated
Guide (London, The Society of Antiquaries, 1984), pp30, 34)
[2362]


Listing NGR: SU2493999349

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.