History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 and 3, Manor Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelmscott, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6896 / 51°41'22"N

Longitude: -1.6397 / 1°38'23"W

OS Eastings: 425000

OS Northings: 199042

OS Grid: SU250990

Mapcode National: GBR 5VF.07T

Mapcode Global: VHC0C.JSHM

Entry Name: 2 and 3, Manor Cottages

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 30 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253826

Location: Kelmscott, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Kelmscott

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Buscot

Listing Text

KELMSCOTT
SU2499-2599
10/74 Nos.2 and 3 (Manor Cottages)
(Formerly listed as Two
12.9.55 Cottages opposite Morris
Cottages on North side of
Road)
GV II

2 attached cottages. No.2 (left cottage). Late C17 with later additions and
alterations. Uncoursed limestone rubble; stone slate roof. 2 storeys and attic.
C20 casements with concrete lintels, 2 to first floor and one to centre on
ground floor; 3-light raking dormer in roof slope to right. Entrance to right
through plank door with glazed panel to top under shallow-pedimented hood
supported on wood posts. External end stack also to right with top rebuilt in
red brick. Lower range at right-angles to rear on left (actually part of No.3)
has integral end stack with red brick shaft.and lean-to attached to rear. No.3
(right cottage). Early C17, extended c.1670 (datestone) with later additions and
alterations. Roughly coursed rubble alternating with regularly coursed blocks
forming banded stone work; stone slate roof. One storey and attic. 3-light C20
casement with wood lintel to left on ground floor and plank door to right with
shallow pedimented hood similar to that on left cottage. Leaded 2-light
slate-hung gabled eaves dormers to left and right. Datestone to right gable end
illegible at time of resurvey (May 1987) but said to be read c.1670. This and
faint suggestion of straight joint to left of entrance suggest that right part
of cottage may be a later addition. Interior. No.3 only inspected. Front range
has deep-chamfered cross beam with stepped ogee and straight-cut stops to left
ground-floor room; inglenook fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel. Right room
has oak winder staircase to left of entrance. Rear range has inglenook fireplace
with chamfered wooden lintel, bread oven to right and oak winder staircase to
left.
[2369]


Listing NGR: SU2500099042

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.