This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6901 / 51°41'24"N
Longitude: -1.6388 / 1°38'19"W
OS Eastings: 425063
OS Northings: 199104
OS Grid: SU250991
Mapcode National: GBR 5V7.SM8
Mapcode Global: VHC0C.JSZ6
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse with Attached Wall and Gate Pier
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 30 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253827
Location: Kelmscott, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Kelmscott
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
10/75 Manor Farmhouse with attached
wall and gate piers
12.9.55 (Formerly listed as Manor
Farmhouse. Circa 1700, incorporating earlier range to rear, with later additions
and alterations. Roughly coursed limestone rubble alternating with 2 ashlar
bands on each floor; alternating ashlar angle quoins; hipped stone slate roof. 2
storeys. 5 bays; all ovolo-moulded cross windows with continuous dripmould to
ground floor. Central entrance; moulded stone architrave with pulvinated frieze
and pediment; C19 half-glazed double doors. Prominent extruded external lateral
stacks to left and right returns have paired and rebated ashlar shafts with
dripstones and moulded capping, left with narrow transomed window on each floor
to either side. Full-height range at right-angles to rear on left of main range
may be contemporary with main range but has C19 segmental heads to C20 windows;
integral end stack with dripstone and moulded capping. Short lower gabled range
attached to rear of this range has lean-to supported on wooden posts to inner
side. Single-storey range at right-angles to rear on right of main range
(agricultural to rear) is possibly C17 and has axial ridge stack rebuilt in C20.
Garden wall attached to this range is probably contemporary with or slightly
later than main range. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with coping, ramped to
front corners, except for short ashlar section to either side of piers to front.
These are of ashlar and square in section with moulded capping and bases.
Encloses garden of farmhouse. Interior. Right ground-floor room has early C18
raised and fielded panelling including to dado and door in back wall; dentilled
wood cornice. Early C18 fluted pilasters to either side of C19 pilastered
fireplace. Panelled window shutters. Left room has stone Adam-style fireplace
surround. C20 two-storey addition between rear ranges is not of special
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p667)
Listing NGR: SU2506399104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings