History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friars Court Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Clanfield, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7087 / 51°42'31"N

Longitude: -1.5908 / 1°35'26"W

OS Eastings: 428373

OS Northings: 201185

OS Grid: SP283011

Mapcode National: GBR 5V3.SRJ

Mapcode Global: VHC0D.C9WY

Entry Name: Friars Court Cottages

Listing Date: 30 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053425

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253751

Location: Clanfield, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Clanfield

Built-Up Area: Clanfield

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP2801-2901 (East side)
8/5 Nos.3 - 5 (inclusive), Friars
Court Cottages

Row of 3 cottages, incorporating remains of C13 building, probably a hospital
chapel. Roughly coursed limestone rubble, rendered except for south wall;
machine tile roof. Long rectangular building aligned south-west to north-east
with C20 parallel gabled range and C20 gabled range at right-angles to north.
Externally there are no architectural features earlier than c.1942 when the
cottages were remodelled; the south wall is mainly post-medieval and the blocked
features and straight joints in its upper parts are probably no earlier than C17
and may be later. A measured survey in February 1985 revealed the original north
wall of the central and eastern cottages to be 0.68m thick and to survive to a
height of c.4.9 metres. The cross wall between the central and western cottages
is 0.93 metres thick. Although the south wall is mainly post-medieval, it
contains a short section of different construction and much thicker (0.70
metres) that the rest, terminating in a splayed door-jamb. These fragments
represent the north, south and west walls of a rectangular building measuring
c.10.6 metres by 3.7 metres internally and c.4.9 metres in height with a doorway
on its south side. This may be the chapel known to have been rebuilt for
Nicholas de Totnes between 1237 and 1244 or possibly another building associated
with it. A chapel on the site is first recorded in early C13 and would seem to
have originated as a hospital chapel served by the nearby preceptory of Knights
Hospitallers (q.v. under Friars' Court). Later it appears to have been reduced
to chapel-of-east status, being rebuilt as such between 1237 and 1244. Properly
controlled further investigation of the building might reveal architectural
features at present (July 1987) covered by plaster. C20 additions to north are
not of special architectural interest.
(John Blair: Saint Leonard's Chapel, Clanfield, Oxoniensia: L(1985); pp209-14;
D. Knowles and R.N. Hadcock: Medieval Religious Houses (1971): p302)

Listing NGR: SP2837301185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.