This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8001 / 51°48'0"N
Longitude: -1.5315 / 1°31'53"W
OS Eastings: 432402
OS Northings: 211371
OS Grid: SP324113
Mapcode National: GBR 6VJ.3M7
Mapcode Global: VHC01.D0QX
Entry Name: Church of Saint Kenelm
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053434
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253672
Location: Minster Lovell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Minster Lovell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Minster Lovell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MINSTER LOVELL MANOR ROAD
SF3211 (South side)
19/114 Church of Saint Kenelm
Church. Mid C15, incorporating some earlier work. Coursed stone rubble; stone
slate roofs, roof of tower not visible. 2-bay chancel, central tower, 2-bay
transepts and 3-bay nave. North side: gabled stone porch to left of nave with
2-centre archway on columns. C19 plank door to 4-centre-arched doorway with
moulted surround and plain spandrels. 4-centre-arched niche above door. Image
niche at angle to left of door with cusped 4-centre arch. Braced collar-truss
roof to porch. 2-light Rectilinear-tracery window to right of nave. 3-light
Rectilinear-tracery windows to left and right of chancel, and to north end of
north transpet. 5-light Rectilinear-tracery window to east end. South side:
blocked 2-centre-arched doorway with hood mould to right of nave.
4-centre-arched doorway with C19 plank door to centre of chancel. 2-light
Rectilinear-tracery window to left of nave. 3-light Rectilinear-tracery windows
to left and right of chancel and to south end of south transpet. West end:
blocked doorway to centre with 2-centre-arched surround with hood mould having
damaged carved end-stops. 5-light Rectilinear-tracery window above. Tower:
2-light Rectilinear-tracery louvred opening to each side of bell chamber;
battlemented parapet. Interior: reredos of 1876 by J.L. Pearson. Sedilia to
right of altar. 4-centre-arched doorway to vestry with probably C16 plank door.
Braced collar truss roof to chancel, altar area panelled with moulded ribs and
carved bosses. Early C20 choir stalls. 2-centre chancel arch on shafted piers
with squinches to each side. Vaulted crossing has rose bosses at intersections
of ribs. Mid C19 stone pulpit. Shafted piers to crossing. Braced collar-truss
roofs to north and south transepts, and to nave. South transept has alabaster
tomb-chest, probably to William, Lord Lovell, having recumbent figure in armour
to top with feet on lion and head on helmet, tracery panels to sides have
figures and armorial shields. C15 octagonal stone font with traceried pier and
quatrefoils to cardinal sides of octagonal basin. C15 pews to nave. History:
probably built by William, Lord Lovell.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp706-707; "Minster Lovell Hall", A.J.
Taylor, HBMCE, 1985)
Listing NGR: SP3240511370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings