This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7958 / 51°47'44"N
Longitude: -1.549 / 1°32'56"W
OS Eastings: 431198
OS Northings: 210885
OS Grid: SP311108
Mapcode National: GBR 5T5.C6H
Mapcode Global: VHC01.34G6
Entry Name: 19 and 21, Upper Crescent
Listing Date: 7 July 1977
Last Amended: 27 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253681
Location: Minster Lovell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Minster Lovell
Built-Up Area: Minster Lovell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Minster Lovell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
In the entry for
MINSTER LOVELL UPPER CRESCENT
Nos 19, 21 and 23
The address shall be amended to read: UPPER CRESCENT
Nos 19 and 21
In the first line of the description delete '3 dwellings' and insert '2
MINSTER LOVELL UPPER CRESCENT
SF3110 (South side)
Nos.19, 21 and 23
(Formerly listed as No.19)
Chartist school and meeting room, now 3 dwellings. Circa 1847. Coursed squared
stone with stone quoins to corners; slate roofs with lead ridges and
hexagon-shaped slates, having coped stone gables. 2 storeys and attic; 3-bay
central range with single-storey, 3-bay wings to left and right. Stone porch
with chamfered rustication to centre of central range, having basket-arched
archway and C20 door to doorway. C20 cross-windows to ground and first floors of
central range. Flat stone band between ground and first floors and between first
floor and attic. Cross-gabled roof, with octagonal 2-light casement to attic.
Wings to left and right have central stone porches with basket-arched archways
and plank doors to doorways. Wood cross-windows to left and right of wings. Flat
stone band to eaves of wings, with plain stone parapets. All windows have stone
lintels with keystones. Interiors not inspected. History: Charterville was the
third of five estates established by the National Land Company. Company formed
by Feargus O'Connor in 1845 to enable people from factory towns to live on small
holdings and qualify for a vote. The Land Company ran into difficulties and was
dissolved in July 1851.
(Working-Class Housing in Oxfordshire, by Crispin Paine et.al. in "Oxoniensia"
vol 43, 1978, pp206-212; Charterville and the Chartist Land Company, by Kate
Tiller in "Oxoniensia" vol 50, 1985, pp251-266)
Listing NGR: SP3119810885
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings