History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Kencot, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7372 / 51°44'13"N

Longitude: -1.6349 / 1°38'5"W

OS Eastings: 425304

OS Northings: 204338

OS Grid: SP253043

Mapcode National: GBR 5TV.1GH

Mapcode Global: VHC05.ML1M

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253543

Location: Kencot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Kencot

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kencot

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text


SP2404-2504 KENCOT
8/231 Manor Farmhouse
12/09/55
II
Farmhouse, now house. Rear wing probably C16; front wing added C17 to form
T-plan, with C18 stair turret in rear angle; another wing to right, dated 1829
on gable end but possibly earlier in origin; early C19 bakehouse wing and other
small C19 and C20 extensions to rear; refurbished early C20. Coursed rubble
limestone, the right wing with slobbered pointing; stone slate roofs with coped
gables to far left and right; ashlar chimneys with moulded cornices. C17 wing is
of 2 storeys and attic and 3 bays, with large gabled full dormer to centre bay.
This wing has hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows with Tudor hoodmoulds and
old metal casements, 4-light to ground floor, 3-light to first floor and attic
dormer. Right bay has C19 6-panelled top-lit door in early C19 ashlar porch with
open pediment on Doric columns. Between left bays is a large stack with row of 4
square shafts. Wing to right is of 2 storeys and 2 bays and has matching
fenestration. Only top left window is old and may be reused; other windows are
early C20. Chimneys also altered early C20, with single shaft moved from centre
to end, and 2 diagonal shafts added to rear lateral stack. Rear wing is smaller
in scale, with gables to west and south, chimney with 2 diagonal shafts, and one
old stone mullion window. Interior has stone fireplaces with 4-centred arches in
C17 wing, those to ground floor refurbished early C20, and early-mid C18 plaster
cornice with egg and dart ornament in left bay of same wing. Rear wing has
winder stairs in line with stack, and remnants of truss, possibly once
arch-braced. Front wings reroofed 1902.


Listing NGR: SP2530404338

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.