History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lew House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lew, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7552 / 51°45'18"N

Longitude: -1.5294 / 1°31'45"W

OS Eastings: 432581

OS Northings: 206385

OS Grid: SP325063

Mapcode National: GBR 6VX.XVL

Mapcode Global: VHC07.F4VS

Entry Name: Lew House

Listing Date: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253552

Location: Lew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Lew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Carterton

Listing Text


SP 30 NW LEW
3/241 Lew House

GV II
House. C17 in origin, with later extensions, one wing dated 1AF 1786 on tablet;
remodelled and further extended 1909 by John Belcher. Mostly of coursed rubble
limestone, the 1786 wing with dressed stone gable and gable copings. Stone slate
roofs, rubble stone chimneys with moulded cornices. Complex plan with original part
in north corner, C18 and altered early C19 wings extending to south-west, and 1909
extensions to south-east. 2 storeys and attic. 1909 fenestration in late C17
style, with wood mullion windows, cross windows and leaded glazing. North-west
entrance front has C17 part set back to left. This has 3 bays of cross windows, a
heavy bracketed wooden eaves cornice of 1909, and a cruciform chimney. To right of
this is a projecting gabled bay with 3-light windows and ashlar porch of 1909.
Porch has double doors, large semi-circular arched hood on Doric columns, and
heraldic crest in typanum. A narrow bay of 2-light casements separates this from
the 1786 wing, also projecting and gabled, which has cross windows with flat stone
arches and keyblocks. Irregular service wing to far right, part formerly out-
buildings, has attached range of thatched kennels. Interior: C17 part has panelled
room in late C17 style, possibly original in part but probably of 1909.


Listing NGR: SP3258106385

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.