This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7339 / 51°44'1"N
Longitude: -1.5888 / 1°35'19"W
OS Eastings: 428496
OS Northings: 203984
OS Grid: SP284039
Mapcode National: GBR 5TX.74Q
Mapcode Global: VHC06.DPY6
Entry Name: Folly View
Listing Date: 15 July 1981
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253462
Location: Black Bourton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Black Bourton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Black Bourton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP20SE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BAMPTON ROAD
5/152 No. 7 (Folly View), Model
(Formerly listed as No.7,
Former lodgings house for 8 estate workers, with superintendent's residence,
later converted to 2 cottages and then to single house. Circa 1860, by E.G.
Bruton, for Christ Church College, Oxford. Squared and coursed limestone,
rock-faced, with slate roofs and stone chimneys. 2-plan building in rustic
Gothick style with steeply pitched roofs and pointed arches over narrow lights.
2 storeys. Front to road has 2 bays, the left bay gabled. This bay has 3-light
ground floor window with cushion capitals on shafts between lights, 2-light
first floor window with stop-chamfered stone mullion, and arched vent slit in
gable. Right bay has one single light, an arched slit window, an arched doorway
with C20 board door, and a small round window or vent just below the eaves. Left
side has arched ground floor windows and catslide semi-dormers to front bays,
and projection with M roof, similar windows and arched door beyond. Part of a
group of buildings for housing estate workers.
(Mary Lupton: History of the Parish of Black Bourton, 1903)
Listing NGR: SP2849603984
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings