History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Folly View

A Grade II Listed Building in Black Bourton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7339 / 51°44'1"N

Longitude: -1.5888 / 1°35'19"W

OS Eastings: 428496

OS Northings: 203984

OS Grid: SP284039

Mapcode National: GBR 5TX.74Q

Mapcode Global: VHC06.DPY6

Entry Name: Folly View

Listing Date: 15 July 1981

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053515

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253462

Location: Black Bourton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Black Bourton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Black Bourton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Alvescot

Listing Text

SP20SE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BAMPTON ROAD
(North side)
Black Bourton
5/152 No. 7 (Folly View), Model
15/07/81 Cottages
(Formerly listed as No.7,
Model Cottages)

GV II
Former lodgings house for 8 estate workers, with superintendent's residence,
later converted to 2 cottages and then to single house. Circa 1860, by E.G.
Bruton, for Christ Church College, Oxford. Squared and coursed limestone,
rock-faced, with slate roofs and stone chimneys. 2-plan building in rustic
Gothick style with steeply pitched roofs and pointed arches over narrow lights.
2 storeys. Front to road has 2 bays, the left bay gabled. This bay has 3-light
ground floor window with cushion capitals on shafts between lights, 2-light
first floor window with stop-chamfered stone mullion, and arched vent slit in
gable. Right bay has one single light, an arched slit window, an arched doorway
with C20 board door, and a small round window or vent just below the eaves. Left
side has arched ground floor windows and catslide semi-dormers to front bays,
and projection with M roof, similar windows and arched door beyond. Part of a
group of buildings for housing estate workers.
(Mary Lupton: History of the Parish of Black Bourton, 1903)


Listing NGR: SP2849603984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.