This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7359 / 51°44'9"N
Longitude: -1.5864 / 1°35'11"W
OS Eastings: 428657
OS Northings: 204211
OS Grid: SP286042
Mapcode National: GBR 5TX.1RQ
Mapcode Global: VHC06.GM6M
Entry Name: Group of 4 Chest Tombs 6-15 Metres to South of South Porch of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253467
Location: Black Bourton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Black Bourton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Black Bourton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2804-2904 CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BURFORD ROAD
10/155 Group of 4 chest tombs 6-15m
to S of S porch of Church of
Group of 4 chest tombs, all of limestone: 1) to Thomas Clark, 1804. Moulded
base, flat cornice lid, recessed corners with square pilasters carrying carved
reliefs of ornamental drapes. Inscription tablets are oval and have shallow
relief carvings of cherub heads and foliage in spandrels. 2) to John Cox, 1827.
Moulded base, flat cornice lid, recessed corners with square balusters, oval
panels with worn inscriptions. 3) Late C17-C18 chest with illegible
inscriptions, plain slab sides, and flat cornice lid with cyma recta moulding.
4) C18-early C19 chest with illegible inscriptions and canted west end. Plain
slab sides, the north side incorporating moulded panel. Flat lid with chamfered
Listing NGR: SP2865704211
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings