History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Black Bourton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7359 / 51°44'9"N

Longitude: -1.5857 / 1°35'8"W

OS Eastings: 428708

OS Northings: 204218

OS Grid: SP287042

Mapcode National: GBR 5TX.1Y6

Mapcode Global: VHC06.GMLL

Entry Name: The Old Inn

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053519

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253469

Location: Black Bourton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Black Bourton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Black Bourton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Alvescot

Listing Text

SP2804-2904 CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BURFORD ROAD
(West side)
Black Bourton
10/157 The Old Inn
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Cottage
opposite and to the West of
Mill Farm Cottage)

GV II
Former inn, now house. Originally a C17 single range, with rear outshots added
and front raised C18-early C19. Outshots altered to parallel rear range c.1950.
Incorporates carved stone fragments, some from Bourton Place, former manor house
of the Hungerford family, demolished c.1800. Coursed rubble limestone, 2-span
roof of stone slates, rebuilt rubble stone chimneys to right and between right
bays. 2 storeys, 3 bays. 3-light wooden casements with horizontal glazing bars,
renewed C20, all with wooden lintels. Ground floor lintels are old, upper
lintels renewed. Ground floor of right bay has 3-light window with
hollow-chamfered stone mullions and Tudor hoodmould, possibly not original to
house. C20 board door with C20 wooden lintel between right bays. Over door is a
C18 carved stone tablet carved with military trophy, almost certainly from
Bourton Place. Another small square tablet below eaves between left bays carries
simple motifs from the Hungerford arms. Below eaves to centre is a tablet dated
ITM 1655, which may be original to house, but if so was re-set when front
raised. Interior has C17 stop-chamfered spine beam in left bay, winder stair in
right bay on axis with stack, and altered trusses with cranked principals.


Listing NGR: SP2871004218

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.