History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greystones

A Grade II Listed Building in Carterton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.76 / 51°45'35"N

Longitude: -1.6007 / 1°36'2"W

OS Eastings: 427653

OS Northings: 206885

OS Grid: SP276068

Mapcode National: GBR 5TH.Q3G

Mapcode Global: VHC06.61M4

Entry Name: Greystones

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053520

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253472

Location: Carterton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Carterton

Built-Up Area: Carterton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Carterton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Carterton

Listing Text

SP20NE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON LAWTON AVENUE
(North-west side)
Carterton
2/161 No. 37 (Greystones)
12/09/73

GV II
Former barn, converted to house 1922. Late C18-early C19 in origin, altered 1923
and 1976. Coursed rubble limestone with stone slate roof and 2 C20 rubble stone
chimneys. Now 2 storeys. 5 bays, formerly with central opposing cart entries,
the east entry in hipped projection. Both entries retain wooden lintels, and
east entry retains traces of original jambs. Blocked vent slits. Irregular C20
casements, most with metal glazing bars, some replaced in hardwood 1970s.
Concrete lintels. East cart entry now contains 8-panel door of c.1922; another
C20 door with hipped C20 porch to centre of west side. French doors of c.1976 in
south gable end. interior retains original double purlin roof. Barn bordered
west side of former farmyard of Rock Farm, established after Enclosure Act of
1770, the farmhouse now known as No.45 (Manor Guest House), Lawton Avenue,
(q.v.).


Listing NGR: SP2765306885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.