History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

College Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7238 / 51°43'25"N

Longitude: -1.5507 / 1°33'2"W

OS Eastings: 431129

OS Northings: 202878

OS Grid: SP311028

Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.YKC

Mapcode Global: VHC07.2XKY

Entry Name: College Farm House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053537

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253416

Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bampton

Built-Up Area: Bampton (West Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

SP3002-3102 BAMPTON MILL STREET
South side)
14/106 College Farm House
12/09/55

GV II
House, part now used as flat and showroom. Circa 1700, incorporating older
building and re-using older fragments. Coursed limestone rubble with stone slate
roofs, hipped over main block. Chimneys have square ashlar shafts linked by
cornice tops. U-plan. 2 storeys and attic. Main range along north side is of 3
bays with irregular C19 2- and 3-light barred wooden casements with wooden
lintels. Right bay has single lights flanking ground floor window, the right
blocked, the left with leaded glazing and old wooden frame. Above is a C17/early
C18 stone mullion window with ovolo mouldings, leaded glazing and Tudor
hoodmould. Similar blocked 3-light window in right return. 2 hipped roof dormer
with paired leaded casements. C19 flush-panelled top-lit door to right of
centre; blocked doorway with casement to left of centre. Left end of north wing,
and rear of left bay have C17 4-light windows, possibly re-used, the ground
floor with hollow-chamfered stone mullions and Tudor hoodmoulds, the first floor
with ovolo-moulded wood mullions and lintels. Hipped stair to rear of main stack
retains old 2-light window at attic level, but other rear windows are altered.
West wing has C17 3-light leaded window with ovolo-moulded wooden mullions and
lintel to first floor of east side, but otherwise has altered openings, the
south bay formerly with loft over cart entry. East wing, attached to remainder
only by north-west corner, is of 2 bays and retains some old leaded windows with
ovolo-moulded wooden mullions and lintels. Some windows renewed in same style.
C20 showroom window and door in east side. Interior: stop-chamfered main ceiling
beams; large but slightly altered fireplaces, one with chamfered stone jambs;
winder stair from first floor to attic. Traces of an old fire hearth have been
found in north-west bay.


Listing NGR: SP3112902878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.