History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Broadwell House

A Grade II Listed Building in Broadwell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7348 / 51°44'5"N

Longitude: -1.6351 / 1°38'6"W

OS Eastings: 425293

OS Northings: 204069

OS Grid: SP252040

Mapcode National: GBR 5TV.1G7

Mapcode Global: VHC05.LNYH

Entry Name: Broadwell House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253432

Location: Broadwell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Broadwell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

SP2404-2504 BROADWELL VILLAGE STREET
(East side)
9/137 Broadwell House
12/09/55

II
House. South wing is possibly C17 in origin, west wing C18/early C19, all very
much restored and extended c.1910 and later C20. Coursed rubble limestone with
dressed quoins and ashlar front to south; stone slate roofs with coped gables;
ashlar and rubble chimneys. Older parts form L-plan. 2 storeys and attic.
C18/early C19 front to west has 3 bays of 4-pane sashes to first floor in
dressed stone surrounds with flat stone lintels and keyblocks. Tripartite sash
in similar surround to ground floor left; 2 C20 leaded casements to ground floor
right. Left bays have C20 hipped roof dormers with 2-light leaded casements.
Central C20 double doors in C20 chamfered stone surround with keyblock and wide
stone pediment hood on brackets. Gabled extension of c.1910 projects to right.
Later C20 extensions to rear of C18 wing. South front has stone mullion and
transom windows with Tudor hoodmoulds, either totally restored or newly
installed c.1910. Ground floor has 3-light windows flanking central door with
leaded glazing; first floor has 3 2-light windows; attic has C20 skylights.
Circa 1910 gabled bay to left with canted bay window.


Listing NGR: SP2529304069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.