This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7601 / 51°45'36"N
Longitude: -1.5998 / 1°35'59"W
OS Eastings: 427714
OS Northings: 206895
OS Grid: SP277068
Mapcode National: GBR 5TH.QB0
Mapcode Global: VHC06.7122
Entry Name: Church of St Joseph (Roman Catholic)
Listing Date: 12 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253450
Location: Carterton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Carterton
Built-Up Area: Carterton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Carterton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP20NE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON ARKELL AVENUE
2/140 CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH
Roman Catholic Church
12/09/73 and Church Hall
Former barn, now Roman Catholic church and church hall. Late C18/early C19,
altered c.1930. Coursed rubble limestone with stone slate roofs. Main west range
is of 5 bays, with central hipped projection, probably a former cart entry. This
now has tall C20 metal casement to front. Left bays have a row of nesting boxes
for pigeons, with ledge, just below eaves, and 2 C20 2-light metal casements.
Small lean-to in angle with projecting bay. North gable end of this range has
C20 circular window, and C20 double doors in moulded stone architrave surround.
North range, also of 5 bays, has blocked vent slits and central opposing cart
entries, partly blocked and partly with large C20 wooden mullion and transom
windows. North entry also has C20 double board doors. In rear angle are a later
rubble stone extension with lean-to roof, and a C20 concrete extension with flat
roof. Barn borders east side of former yard of Rock Farm, established after the
Enclosure Act of 1770, the farmhouse now known as No.45 (Manor Guest House),
Lawton Avenue (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP2771406895
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings