History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 3 Chest Tombs, 2 to Arnatt Family, in Churchyard of St Mary's, Circa 15 Metres to East of North Vestry

A Grade II Listed Building in Bampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7279 / 51°43'40"N

Longitude: -1.5483 / 1°32'53"W

OS Eastings: 431295

OS Northings: 203341

OS Grid: SP312033

Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.RC6

Mapcode Global: VHC07.3TVR

Entry Name: Group of 3 Chest Tombs, 2 to Arnatt Family, in Churchyard of St Mary's, Circa 15 Metres to East of North Vestry

Listing Date: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053561

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253370

Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bampton

Built-Up Area: Bampton (West Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/09/2011


SP3003-3103
13/60


BAMPTON
CHURCH CLOSE
(South-west side)
Group of 3 chest tombs, 2 to
Arnatt family, in churchyard
of St. Mary's, c.l5m to E of
N vestry


GV
II

Group of 3 chest tombs, comprising: a) matching pair of tombs to Arnatt family
of Lew, both of limestone, with moulded bases and cornice lids, shallow tops,
simple pilasters, and moulded end panels. One has inscriptions to Jonathan
Arnatt 1844 and Joseph Arnatt 1834. The other has inscriptions to Jonathan
Arnatt 1799 and Elizabeth Arnatt 1779, with carved floral trails and lead
lettering. Tombs are surrounded by low stone base of former enclosure, the
railings now missing. b) a late C18 tomb with illegible inscriptions. Of
limestone ashlar with moulded cornice lid. North side has winged cherub head
over inscription panel, and flanking panels with carved foliage scrolls. Later
south panel with flanking guilloche ornament.


Listing NGR: SP3129503341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.