This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7361 / 51°44'9"N
Longitude: -1.6044 / 1°36'15"W
OS Eastings: 427414
OS Northings: 204228
OS Grid: SP274042
Mapcode National: GBR 5TW.363
Mapcode Global: VHC06.4MNG
Entry Name: The Old Rectory, with Attached Garden Walls and Piers to South
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253315
Location: Alvescot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Alvescot
Built-Up Area: Alvescot
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Alvescot
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2604-2704 ALVESCOT LOWER END
9/5 The Old Rectory, with attached
12/09/55 garden walls and piers to S
(Formerly listed as Rectory)
Forner rectory, now house, with garden walls. House is said to date back to 1609
but much altered and rebuilt late C18 and early C19. Limestone ashlar front to
south, remainder coursed rubble. C20 concrete tile roof with stone gable
copings. Ashlar chimney to centre, external chimney to right with shaft rebuilt
in brick C20. L-plan. 2 storeys and attic, 5 irregular bays. Moulded plinth.
First floor has boxed 3-pane sashes; ground floor has 2 large tripartite sashes,
that to right of c.1900, off-centre double half-glazed doors, and C20 door with
rectangular fanlight to left. Attic casement in left gable. Rear has 3 gabled
bays with sashes to first floor and C20 round windows flanking C20 arched
doorway. C20 wooden Doric porch. Later wing projects to right with flat-roofed
extension. Attched to either side of south front are garden walls of early C19
date, with long returns of c.25m to south. Left wall is completely of brick;
right wall is brick-faced to garden but backed with coursed rubble limestone.
Both have brick laid in English garden wall bond with courses of blue headers
and red stretchers, and have flat stone coping. End piers are of ashlar with
tented caps. Walls to either side of house are pierced by arched gateways.
Listing NGR: SP2741404228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings