This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.729 / 51°43'44"N
Longitude: -1.5464 / 1°32'47"W
OS Eastings: 431423
OS Northings: 203463
OS Grid: SP314034
Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.KV5
Mapcode Global: VHC07.4STX
Entry Name: The Elms and South Elms
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253349
Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Bampton
Built-Up Area: Bampton (West Oxfordshire)
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP3003-3103 BAMPTON BROAD STREET
13/42 The Elms and South Elms
(Formerly listed as The Elms)
House, now 2 dwellings. Mid/late C18 front block; rear wing C17/C18 in origin
but remodelled C19 and 1895 as dated on tablet; mid/late C19 extension to front
right, now South Elms. Limestone, with ashlar front and coursed rubble to
remainder. Slate roof, C18 part with coped gables and flanking ashlar chimneys.
Chimneys have moulded cornices. 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays. Projecting plinth,
first floor band course, moulded cornice, coped parapet. Outer bays have
Venetian windows with sashes and raised moulded stone surrounds. Single
semi-circular arched sash to centre of first floor in similar surround. 3 gabled
roof dormers with paired barred wooden casements and glazed cheeks. Central door
is 6-panelled with glazed top panels and octagonal lower panels. Ornamental
semi-circular fanlight with semi-circular arched stone hood on shaped stone
brackets. Left gable end has large C19 sash with marginal glazing. Rear wing has
hipped roofs, ashlar chimneys, and battlemented parapet of 1895. Near bay of
this wing has paired 4-pane sashes to each floor; far bay projects, also with
4-pane sashes and slit window. Extension to front right and slit window.
Extension to front right has 2 bays of 3-pane sashes with wedge lintels and
keyblocks, the upper windows semi-dormers in gables. Arched panelled door in
single-storey lobby to right. Interior altered, with rooms to ground floor left
remodelled c.1830-40: front bay has moulded segmental arch over side window, on
reeded pilasters; rear bay has arched niches with moulded pilasters.
Listing NGR: SP3142303463
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings