This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6636 / 52°39'49"N
Longitude: -2.3022 / 2°18'8"W
OS Eastings: 379654
OS Northings: 307364
OS Grid: SJ796073
Mapcode National: GBR 06X.SXB
Mapcode Global: WH9DC.L9XV
Entry Name: Former North Gates and Gatepiers to Tong Castle and Flanking Retaining Walls and Bollards, Approximately 30 Metres to South West of the Old Post Office
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255311
Location: Tong, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Tong
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Tong St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD
6/29 Former North Gates and Gatepiers
- to Tong Castle with flanking
Retaining Walls and Bollards,
approximately 30 metres to South-
West of The Old Post Office.
Gates, flanking walls, and bollards. Late C18 or early C19. 2 wrought
iron gates with fleur-de-lys railings. Flanking walls: squared and coursed
sandstone approximately 5 metres long and 1 metre high. Dentil brick
chamfered coping, central segmental arched niches with flanking recessed
Latin and Maltese crosses; square gate and end piers with dentil brick
coping. Low flanking retaining walls, approximately 20 metres to left and
60 metres to right. Bollards on bank behind retaining wall, 4 to left of
gates and 11 to right, with chain links between; cannon type with acanthus
necking, finials, Durant shields with motto: "Heati qui Durant" ("Blessed
are those who endure" or "Blessed are the Durants".) The bollards were
brought from near the castle when it ceased to be lived in. The walls have
similar details to that East of Convent Lodge (qv) entrance which are dated
1821, but if they date from the building of the Castle (qv) in 1765 they
are probably by its Architect, 'Capability' Brown. G. Griffith, History of
Tong and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 89-92 and pp.154-61; D. H. Robinson, The
Wandering Worfe, Waine Research Publications, 1980, p.56.
Listing NGR: SJ7965507365
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings