History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tong, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6642 / 52°39'51"N

Longitude: -2.3026 / 2°18'9"W

OS Eastings: 379632

OS Northings: 307426

OS Grid: SJ796074

Mapcode National: GBR 06X.STK

Mapcode Global: WH9DC.L9RF

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 May 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255318

Location: Tong, Shropshire, TF11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Tong

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Tong St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Albrighton

Listing Text

SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD
(North side)

6/22 Church Farmhouse
26/5/55

GV II

Inn, now house. Early C17 with partial early C19 re-facing and mid to
late C19 additions. Timber framed with sandstone plinth and painted
brick nogging, painted brick facing to right, painted brick to right
at rear, and old tile roof, hipped to right. L-plan with 3 framed bays
to front. 2 storeys with gable lit attics. Framing: close studding
with tension braces and straight corner braces, jettied first floor to
left with moulded bressumer and 3 brackets with carved heads; central
ridge stack, stack to left at rear, 2 end stacks to right, and end stack
to wing at rear. C19 wooden mullioned and transomed casements, 4 on
first floor, and 3 on ground floor to left; projecting ground floor
square bay to right with dentil brick eaves cornice, catslide roof, and
glazing bar sash to front with flush frame; 7 steps up to door between
first and second windows from right with 6 raised and fielded panels, 3-
light overlight,and doorcase with reeded pilasters supporting entablature
with dentil cornice. Queen post truss exposed in left-hand gable end.
Interior: ground floor room off-centre to right with chamfered beam and
joists; first floor room to left with panelling dated 1625 above fireplace,
and moulded beam; queen post roof trusses, somewhat altered. Formerly The
Bell Inn, Charles Dickens reputedly wrote'The Old Curiosity Shop'while
staying here.


Listing NGR: SJ7963207426

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.