This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7054 / 52°42'19"N
Longitude: -2.3596 / 2°21'34"W
OS Eastings: 375802
OS Northings: 312032
OS Grid: SJ758120
Mapcode National: GBR 06F.B8P
Mapcode Global: WH9D4.Q8L9
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 May 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053645
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255193
Location: Sheriffhales, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Sheriffhales
Built-Up Area: Sheriffhales
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Sheriffhales St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 71 SE
CHURCH LANE (West side)
Church of St. Mary
Parish Church: C12 and C14 with nave re-roofed and probably re-faced to South. Circa 1661. Chancel probably re-faced to South in C18, tower Circa 1723, and whole restored in 1884. Squared and coursed stone ashlar tower and South facing to nave and chancel. Rendered East nave wall, and chancel and aisle eaves re-built to North. Old tile roofs, separately over nave, aisle and chancel. Four bay nave, North aisle chancel and West tower.
Tower: three stages with moulded plinth, set-offs, string courses, and chamfered battlemented parapet, louvred bellchamber openings on each face with two round-arched lights set in larger recessed round arch; small round arched second stage windows to North and South; large, probably early C19 first stage West window with Y-tracery, and two-light square window to South with cast iron ogee tracery; blocked round-arched doorway to North with plain architrave, imposts, and keystone. Clock on top stage to East; tablet on second stage to South inscribed J.W., date illegible at time of re-survey. Nave: moulded eaves cornice and sprocketed eaves to South. South side: two, probably C17 windows to right, with Y-tracery and moulded surrounds; two-light late C19 windows to left with quatrefoil tracery, projecting cill, and hoodmould with carved stops; doorway between first and second windows from left with moulded surround, hoodmould with carved stops, and two boarded doors. North side: small C12 round-arched window and blocked, probably C17, window above, with two re-used carved corbels as brackets, Chancel: moulded eaves cornice to South, post medieval diagonal buttresses to East, and parapeted gable end. South side: two, probably C18 lancets with moulded surrounds flanking central late C19 doorway with chamfered arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and boarded door. East end: large uncusped three-light window. North sides two-light window to right with cusped panelled tracery and blocked door to right with projecting string above. North aisle: dentil brick eaves cornice and parapeted gable end. East end: restored two-light window with cusped Y-tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. North side three partly restored two-light windows with cusped Y-tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. West end: three light C19 window with cusped quatrefoil tracery, and hoodmould with carved stops. Interior: North aisle arcade reputed to have come from Lilleshall Abbey, but this is unlikely; four unequal bays with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, and double chamfered arches. Chamfered tower arch with foliated capitals; carved nave corbel table; six bay double hammer beam nave roof of circa 1661 with double purlins, windbraces, and scrolled brackets, three on the third from last with carved heads; probably C17 painting on East wall of nave, only two outstretched arms remain C19 king post North aisle roof; waggon roofed chancel.
Fittings include: C17 stone font with circular stem and octagonal bowl; irregular octagonal C17 wooden pulpit with raised and fielded panels; seven bay C19 chancel screen with tracered square headed divisions, creating, and rood cross; small C19 North aisle screen; C19 chancel panelling, reredos, and altar rails. Tablet on North wall of chancel to John Blaremore.
Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire p.2631
Kelly's Directory of Hereford and Shropshire. 1917, pp.195.
Listing NGR: SJ7580212032
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings