This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.706 / 52°42'21"N
Longitude: -2.3617 / 2°21'42"W
OS Eastings: 375657
OS Northings: 312094
OS Grid: SJ756120
Mapcode National: GBR 06F.9QR
Mapcode Global: WH9D4.P7LW
Entry Name: Sheriffhales Manor
Listing Date: 29 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053649
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255205
Location: Sheriffhales, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Sheriffhales
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Sheriffhales St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 71 SE SHERIFFHALES C.P. SHERIFFHALES
4/13 Sheriffhales Manor.
House. Late C16, C17, and heavily restored circa 1952. Timber framed
with much planted tuber and rendered infill panels, decorated with concave
lozenges and balusters in porch and cross wing. C2O tile roofs with partial
catslide over outshut to rear. Irregular cruciform plan with 4 framed bays
to left, projecting 4 framed bay gabled cross wing off-centre to right,
3 framed bays to right, and 2 storey gabled porch off-centre to left.
2 storeys and garret with 2 storey and attic cross wing. Porch and cross
wing with jettied first floors, plain barge boards with pierced finials,
central ridge stack, ridge stack on cross wing off-centre to right, and
large stone stack to right at rear with 3 square brick shafts. Irregular
1:1:1:1:3 window front. C20 leaded mullioned and transomed and cross
windows. C17 four-centred nailed door in porch off-centre to left with
4 arched panels, 2 square panels beneath with raised lozenges, and guilloche
enriched architrave; C20 French casements off-centre to right. Interior:
restored 3-flight C17 square well staircase with square newels, bulbous
finials, arcaded balustrade and moulded handrail; 2 fireplace overmantels
of 3 bays with arched panels, one with tapered Ionic pilasters; such re-
ordered panelling; queen strut roof trusses. The Rev. John Woodhouse,
Puritan Divine, kept on Academy or Provincial University here, c 1675-1696.
Listing NGR: SJ7565712094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings