History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hatton Grange and Garden Wall to South West with Gate and Gate Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shifnal, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6359 / 52°38'9"N

Longitude: -2.3493 / 2°20'57"W

OS Eastings: 376460

OS Northings: 304292

OS Grid: SJ764042

Mapcode National: GBR 077.LW5

Mapcode Global: WH9DJ.W0HL

Entry Name: Hatton Grange and Garden Wall to South West with Gate and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255209

Location: Shifnal, Shropshire, TF11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Shifnal

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Shifnal St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shifnal

Listing Text

SJ 70 SE SHIFNAL C.P. -

9/3 Hatten Grange and Garden
29/9/51 Wall to South West with
Gate and Gatepiers.

GV II*

House. 1764-8, by Thomas Farnells Pritchard, with 1896 and circa 1900
alterations and additions. Red brick with ashlar dressings, and hipped
slate roof. Central 3 storey block with quadrant linking walls to set
back one storey pavilions. South-West front: plinth, first floor string
course, cornice, blocking course, triangular pediment over central 3 slightly
projecting bays with central oval plaque and carved festoons of fruit and
flowers in tympanum; ridge stacks off-centre to left and right, and 2 stacks
to rear. 2:3:2 bays, centre 3 narrower; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads,
these in centre 3 bays with lugged architraves and bracketed cills; central
first floor arched window with triple keyed architrave. Circa 1896 two
storey canted bay windows in outer bays with balustraded parapets. Central
half glazed door with semi-circular fanlight and doorcase with architrave
consisting of unfluted Doric half columns, triglyph frieze, and open trian-
gular pediment. North-West entrance front: 3 bays, central windows with
lugged architraves, and cornice on first floor. Circa 1900 ground floor
addition; 5 unequal bays with plinth, frieze, cornice and blocking course.
Rusticated end pilasters, and centre 3 bays with Tuscan pilasters and full
entablature. Outer bays with keyed stone lintels. Central pair of half
glazed doors with projecting porch consisting of Tuscan columns, entablature,
and open triangular pediment with shield and motto in tympanum: "Deo duce
comite industria magnanimiter crucem sustine". South-East front: 4 bays,
circa 1900 ground floor square bay to left with rusticated end pilasters,
frieze, cornice and balustraded parapet, 3 light glazing bar sash to front
with keyed stone lintel. Pavilions: arcaded quadrant linking wall to North-
West with stone impost band and coping. 2 storey pavilion with Tuscan serliana
and open triangular pedimented gable end above with circular window in
tympanum. Linking block to circa 1900 matching South-East pavilion, with
the addition of a serliana to South - East also. Quadrant garden wall projecting
approximately 20 metres from house to South-West; red brick with stone coping;
2 gate piers at North-West end with globe finials, and wrought iron gate
between with exuberant overthrow. Interior: largely 1764-8 with rich plaster-
work, and some circa 1900 alterations. Morning Room (former entrance hall):
deep cornice with paterae on soffit; doorcases with lugged architraves,
pulvinated friezes, and cornices; chimneypiece with lugged architrave frieze
with foliage decoration, and cornice. Drawing Room: medillion cornice with
paterae; doors with lugged architraves; chimneypiece with tapered pilasters,
and frieze with foliage decoration and central ram's head. Dining Room: rich
frieze; doorcases with lugged architraves and cornices; plaster panels, large
plaster picture panel with lugged architrave and swan-necked pediment with
foliage decoration; chimneypiece with terms, frieze with foliage decoration
and central rustic scene, and scrolled acanthus brackets supporting rich cornice;
fireplace overmantel with plaster panel containing festoons, drops, and central
music 'trophy' consisting of various musical instruments; depressed-arched
sideboard recess containing plaster harvest 'trophy' including agricultural
implements and produce. Library: dentil cornice; chimneypiece with frieze
consisting of foliage decoration and central urns Staircase Hall: circa 1900
three-flight rectangular well staircase with twisted balusters, square
newels, and Ionic pilasters to first floor landing. Chinoiserie and
Gothic fireplaces in former first floor middle chamber and dressing room.
Landscaped grounds including natural ravine with chain of former monastic
fishponds, and circa 1960 octagonal classical temple by Clough Williams
Ellis (not listed). N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropahire, p 14O; Country Life,
Vol. CXLiii, February 29, 1968, p.p.466-70.


Listing NGR: SJ7646004292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.