History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II Listed Building in Badger, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5938 / 52°35'37"N

Longitude: -2.3437 / 2°20'37"W

OS Eastings: 376815

OS Northings: 299616

OS Grid: SO768996

Mapcode National: GBR 07T.89R

Mapcode Global: WH9DQ.Z249

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 26 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053665

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255142

Location: Badger, Shropshire, WV6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Badger

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Badger St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Worfield

Listing Text

SO 79 NE BADGER C.P. BADGER

7/53 Church of St.Giles

-
G.V. II

Parish Church. 1833 and 1886 on site of medieval church, probably founded
in C12. Red sandstone ashlar walls, slate roofs. Nave and chancel in
one, west tower 1833; north chapel, vestry and south porch added by
F. Francis in 1886. Tower, with set-back buttresses, possibly retains
some medieval masonry in its base, west doorway blocked and has a Tudor
arched window inserted; belfry lit by 3 broad lancets with hoodmoulds,
embattled top with pinnacles, weathercock, clock on south face. Broad
lancets under hoodmoulds (lights cusped on west wall) to wide buttressed
nave which projects to north and south of tower, east window on south
wall (to chancel) blocked. Wide east wall has window of 3 lights with
simple cusping and a datestone of 1833 above; north chapel has crosses
to gables and a 3 light east window with trefoiled heads and cusping
above west window'with geometrical tracery and Capel Cure coat of arms
above, moulded eaves cornice on north side; vestry, adjoining to west,
has a sloping roof and a double chamfered doorway under a hoodmould in
its west wall, cusped lancet to south; south porch of timber on sandstone
walls, pointed arch to entrance with quatrefoils in the spandrels,
perpendicular tracery in windows to side walls, bargeboards and gargoyles;
south door also of 1886 in Decorated style. Interior. No internal
division between nave and chancel, highly cusped Queen-post roof to whole,
low round arch (recessed) to tower approached down steps; sanctuary,
up one step, has communion rails with turned baluster shafts and hinged
gate, panelled reredos probably also of 1834; stained glass in east wall
1834, roundels in heads of lights above Netherlandish C16-17; north chapel
separated from the body of the church by a C15 screen, a survival from,
the medieval church, crest with Tudor flowers, intertwining leaves and
grapes to cornice above open groining with square leaf bosses; diminutive
rounded battlements to the capitals on the arches supporting the upper
part, the bottom is late C19 (1886?), open tracery with trefoiled heads;
north chapel roof is wooden panelled. The font is of 1887 and is a
copy of that designed by Wren for St. Bride's, Fleet Street, pulpit and
reading desk also late C19; a list of benefactors to the church (1752-
1852) hangs over the south door, 2 late C19 boards on east wall, one
with the Lord's Prayer, the other with the Apostles' Creed and Ten
Commandments; the painting over the Communion Table is an Ecce Homo after
Titian and'at the west end is a C19 copy of the Annunciation.
Monuments. In the north chapel (north wall) Isaac Hawkins Browne (died
1818), by Chantrey, iirge seated figure in profile; stele-shaped monument
by Flaxman to Browne's mother(died1802) ( shown standing with a genius
appearing in a cloud above) also commemorates his wife, Henrietta; Harriet
Pigot (died 1852), stele-shaped wall monument, an angel taking her up,
by John Gibson; on north wall of nave, Harriet Cheney (died 1848) also
by Gibson, she is seated, a standing angel holding her arm; tablet to
Elizabeth Kynnersley (died 1649) with contemporary wooden heraldic crest
above. Cranage III, pp.173-4; Pevsner B.O.E. pp.67-8.


Listing NGR: SO7681599616

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.