History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lilleshall Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sheriffhales, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7272 / 52°43'37"N

Longitude: -2.3737 / 2°22'25"W

OS Eastings: 374859

OS Northings: 314462

OS Grid: SJ748144

Mapcode National: GBR 067.0PZ

Mapcode Global: WH9CY.HQW3

Entry Name: Lilleshall Hall

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053678

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255176

Location: Sheriffhales, Shropshire, TF10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Sheriffhales

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Sheriffhales St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Great Chatwell

Listing Text

SEVENTH LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHICECTURAL OR HISTORIC
INTEREST COMPILED UNDER SECTION 54 OF THE TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING
ACT 1971

SHROPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
BRIDGENORTH D

5357

SJ 71 SW SHERIFFHALES C.P. -

3/3 Lilleshall Hall

-

GV II *

House, now National Sports Centre. 1829, by Sir Jeffry Wyatville in a
Tudor Gothic style. Limestone and sandstone ashlar with slate roofs.
Square plan with service wing projecting to East. Basement and 2½ storeys
with one and 2 storey service wing. Moulded plinth, parapet string, downpipes
and rainwater heads with cast dogs, coped parapet with corner pinnacles
and gable finials, and 12 stacks with grouped octagonal shafts. Mullioned
and transomed windows with returned hoodmoulds. Entrance front: 3 window
front; 2 large end gables with stacks at apexes. Central projecting 3½
storey porch tower with octagonal corner buttresses up to first floor,
string courses, and parapeted gables on each face with corner pinnacles
and finials. Small attic casements, second floor 2-light windows , that
to North with carved coat of arms beneath, first stage cross windows, and
porte-cochere beneath with 4-centred arches in 3 faces, that to North with
2 uncarved shields above; 2 bay ribbed vault inside and 4-centred arched
doorway with 2 half glazed doors, sidelights and overlight. Service wing
to left with 9 multi-shafted stacks; 2 storey block to right with 5 window
front, small gable to right and large central tower with clocks to front
and rear, and multi-shafted stacks at each corner; one storey block
projecting to left with gabled semi-dormer to right; walled service court
to far left with 2 gate piers, West front: asymetrical 4 window front,
with 3 small gabled semi dormers to left, projecting gabled full-height
square bay to right, and 2 ground floor square bays to left. Small square
gazebo to left with semi-circular moulded arched seat recesses to West
and South, coped parapet, corner obelisks, and short connecting wall with
4-centred archway. South fronts symetrical 4 window front with 2 small
central gabled semi-dormers, 2 larger outer gables, and 2 ground floor
canted bays to left and right with uncarved shields on parapets.
Interior: panelled entrance hall with 2 shell niches. Large central
double-height panelled staircase hall with arched first floor Gothic
glazed windows, and hammer beams supporting large rectangular top light
with round-arched glazing. 3-flight square well staircase with landing,
open string, turned balusters with tulip decoration, and round bottom
newel with globe finial. Series of ground floor rooms with Tudor Gothic
decoration including panelling, rich-moulded cornices, panelled plaster
ceilings, and fireplaces with carved overmantels. The house was built for
George Grenville, first Duke of Sutherland, who died in 1833. Formal
gardens to West and landscaped grounds. B.O.E., Shropshire, p.166j Burkes
and Savills Guide to country Houses Vo1 II, Peter Reid, 1980; The Country
Seats of Shrovshire. Ed. Francis Leach, Eddowea, 1891.


Listing NGR: SJ7485914462

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.