This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6339 / 52°38'2"N
Longitude: -2.2929 / 2°17'34"W
OS Eastings: 380272
OS Northings: 304056
OS Grid: SJ802040
Mapcode National: GBR 079.WMT
Mapcode Global: WH9DK.R2B3
Entry Name: The Old Windmill
Listing Date: 26 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053693
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255111
Location: Albrighton, Shropshire, WV7
Civil Parish: Albrighton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Albrighton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 80 SW
Windmill, (tower mill) converted to a house. C18 with C20 additions and alterations. Sandstone ashlar base with stepped plinth, red brick upper part, strengthened by iron straps, and projecting wooden upper storey. Three storeys. Windows and entrance all C20. Interior has lost machinery but retains datestone "RW - 1768". External datestone also 1768. During early C20 the windmill was owned by Colonel Thorneycroft of Tettenhall Towers, near Wolverhampton, who built the upper storey as a lookout point from which to survey the distant Shropshire Hills.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings