History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sidbury, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.469 / 52°28'8"N

Longitude: -2.4668 / 2°28'0"W

OS Eastings: 368383

OS Northings: 285773

OS Grid: SO683857

Mapcode National: GBR BX.KFF0

Mapcode Global: VH83W.667M

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 9 March 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 254910

Location: Sidbury, Shropshire, WV16

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Sidbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Sidbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Chetton

Listing Text

SIDBURY

823/27/20 CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
09-MAR-70

II*
DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT:
Parish church with C12 nave, north chapel of 1734, restored and extended by Robert Griffiths, 1881.

MATERIALS: Locally quarried sandstone, mainly laid in herringbone fashion in the nave; ashlar siltstone to north chapel; freestone dressings, tile roofs and cast-iron rainwater goods.

PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, south porch, west belfry and chapel on the north side of the chancel.

EXTERIOR: Herringbone masonry in the nave is mainly C12 but includes some C19 work on the south side. The west wall has a blocked Norman doorway, the arch of which contains sandstone and tufa voussoirs. Except for the round-headed south doorway, the C19 nave and chancel work is in simple Decorated style, with 2-light nave windows. Two memorial tablets are on the nave south wall, to Thomas Childe (d 1772) and family, and Henry Page (d 1800). The porch, which also incorporates herringbone masonry, has a pointed entrance with continuous double chamfer, and triple lancet sided windows. The belfry is timber-framed with louvered sound holes in each face, under a pyramid roof on swept eaves, with weathervane. The chancel has single and 2-light windows in the south wall, and 2-light east window. The north chapel has a small 2-light east window but no other external openings.

INTERIOR: The nave has a trussed-rafter roof and, supporting the bellcote at the west end, a single tie-beam truss on corbelled brackets. The chancel arch has a continuous double chamfer and hood mould. In the chancel is a canted ceiling, boarded behind moulded and embossed ribs. An C18 double-chamfered arch on the north side opens to the chapel. The piscina is ogee-headed. Walls are plastered. Floors are C19 and C20 tiles, with steps in the chancel.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Many interior fixtures post-date a fire in 1912. The tub font of c1931 is neo-Norman. It has intersecting arches below a tier of snake-like branches. The polygonal pulpit has open arcading and foliage-trail cornice. Simple pews have X-shaped ends incorporating trefoils. Choir stalls have moulded ends with arms rests incorporating blind trefoils, and ogee-arcaded fronts. The wooden communion rail has cast-iron uprights with scrolls. The simple reredos has paired Corinthian columns, guilloche frieze and roundel with Chi-Rho symbol. A hatchment is on the west wall. The east window shows 2 angels, dated 1931 by Powell's. In the chapel is a reassembled pair of wall monuments to Richard Creswell (d1708) and Anne Creswell (d 1705), comprising oval tablets with garlands, flaming urns and cherubs, over a memorable skull and crossbones.

HISTORY: Evidence of a C12 origin is the herringbone masonry in the nave walls. A Gothic-style north chapel was added in 1734 (date on stonework) by the Creswell family. The church was restored in 1881 by Robert Griffiths, architect of Quatford, who completely rebuilt the chancel. Porch and belfry also belong to this phase. The contractor was Nevett Brothers of Ironbridge. The church was damaged in a fire in 1912 and many of the interior fixtures post-date this.

SOURCES:
J. Newman and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, 2006, p 595.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of the Holy Trinity, Sidbury, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* It retains extensive C12 fabric, including herringbone masonry and a blocked Norman doorway.
* It has an C18 family chapel with contemporary wall monuments.
* The exterior retains C19 character which, with its timber-framed belfry, is one of the typical features of the area.


This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.