This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4561 / 52°27'21"N
Longitude: -0.9472 / 0°56'49"W
OS Eastings: 471639
OS Northings: 284757
OS Grid: SP716847
Mapcode National: GBR BSH.TMB
Mapcode Global: VHDQZ.JJMJ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054010
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360282
Location: East Farndon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: East Farndon
Built-Up Area: East Farndon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: East Farndon St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
3/29 Church of St. John Baptist
Church. C13 and C14. Squared coursed lias and limestone with lead roofs. Nave
and chancel with south aisle and west tower. Chancel has aisle attached to south
and vestry to north. One 3.-light window to north has 4-centred head. 3-light
east window has Perpendicular tracery. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar
parapets. South aisle of 3-window range of 3-light windows. Those to left have
4-centred heads with cusped tracery. That to right is probably Cl9. Decorated
south door between windows to left. 3-light west window has 4-centred head.
Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Nave south elevation has 3-window range of
3-light, square-headed windows. North elevation has 3-window range of 3-light,
square-headed windows. North elevation of nave has two 2-window range of 3-light
windows with 4-centred heads. Gabled north porch between windows has castellated
parapet. Shallow pitch nave roof has ashlar parapets. Perpendicular west tower:
ashlar, of 5 stages, the upper stage is subdivided; 3-light west window in
second stage has geometrical tracery. 2-light bell chamber openings to each face
of fifth stage. Castellated parapet with short pinnacles at corners. Interior:
Chancel has double chamfered arch to south aisle chapel with fleuron decoration
to the capitals. Simple arch from south aisle to chapel. Decorated double
chamfered chancel arch. Nave of 3-bay arcade to south aisle, of double chamfered
arches being continuous with the piers and forming a slender chamfered
projection to the nave and aisle. C19 nave and chancel roofs of shallow pitch
with chamfered tie beams and painted panels. Stained glass east window.
Monuments: Brass plate to left of altar commemorates Danial Holford, Rector died
1622. 3 brass plates to north wall of chancel dating from 1702 to 1790
commemorate members of the Saunders family; the earliest has a moulded stone
surround with scrolls and urn. Slate slab to south aisle wall commemorates
family tree of Lee family from 1693 to 1804. Four other C19 white marble tablets
on south aisle wall. Plain stone tablet in belfry commemorates John and Ann
Levitt died 1780 and 1738.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.197).
Listing NGR: SP7163984757
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings