This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8029 / 51°48'10"N
Longitude: -0.1317 / 0°7'54"W
OS Eastings: 528915
OS Northings: 213231
OS Grid: TL289132
Mapcode National: GBR J94.X3F
Mapcode Global: VHGPF.NYQ9
Entry Name: Panshanger Orangery and Conservatory
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Last Amended: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356173
Location: Hertingfordbury, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG14
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hertingfordbury
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hertford St Andrew with St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 21 SE
5/67 Panshanger Orangery
20.10.52 and Conservatory
Former orangery to Panshanger House (demolished). c.1856. For the 7th
Earl Cowper. White brick with terracotta dressings. Classical style. 11
bays, 4:3:4 in 3 distinct sections. Central 3 bays project slightly.
Original sashed openings empty with a few surviving glazing bars, double
gauged brick flat arched headed surrounds. Brick pilasters to each bay.
Terracotta panel over centre bays with rich festoon and drop relief.
Terracotta cornice to pierced parapet with double row of terracotta
medallions, cornice. Outer bays similar without festooned panels, lower
cornice to parapet. Similar 3 bay returns with parapet continued also
on returns of central section. To rear centre bays as to front, outer
bays are blind with small entrances in penultimate bays. Some moulded
rafters to hipped roof. Interior is divided into 3 sections, iron braces
to roof. Extending to rear right a low brick wall returns to form rear
of a smaller 5 bay former conservatory. Central bay projects with a
blind panel below terracotta cornice, pilasters, 2 bay returns. To rear
left 3 bay wall with buttresses, coping. Formal gardens once lay
immediately S of Orangery leading on to landscaped grounds and Mimram
valley laid out by H. Repton, 1799-1801. (Country Life 11 and 18/1/1936).
Listing NGR: TL2891513231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings