This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8228 / 52°49'22"N
Longitude: -2.9405 / 2°56'25"W
OS Eastings: 336718
OS Northings: 325442
OS Grid: SJ367254
Mapcode National: GBR 78.V66Q
Mapcode Global: WH8B4.S9YT
Entry Name: Tedsmore Hall with Attached Balustrade, Archway and Outbuilding
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 2 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255795
Location: West Felton, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: West Felton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: West Felton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WEST FELTON C.P. TEDSMORE
SJ 32 NE
8/82 Tedsmone Hall with attached
balustrade, archway and
19.1.52 outbuilding (formerly listed
as Tedsmore Hall)
Country house. 1768 for Richard Bulkeley-Hatchett remodelled in mid-C19 for
Thomas Bulkeley-Owen with additions dated 1878. Red brick, refaced in
grey sandstone ashlar to front and right return; red sandstone ashlar additions;
slate roofs. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys and attics. 3 gables to
front linked by coped parapet terminating in octagonal corner piers with
dome finials. Chimney-like finials to left and centre gables. 4-paned
sashes, one to attic of left and centre gables, 2 to first floor of left
gable and 2 paired to centre gable all with dripstones. Canted bay window
to ground floor of left gable has quatrefoil parapet. Porch to right
of centre has stepped parapet and circular finials with incised lozenge-
shaped decoration and fluted dome caps; carving of bull's head (Bulkeley-
Owen family coat-of-arms) to centre. 4-centred moulded arch with floriated
label stops over Gothic panelled door. Infilled square-headed windows
to sides. External stack to right gable has 2 coats-of-arms to centre
and 3 attached and rebated octagonal shafts with moulded capping. Main
range has integral end stacks with narrow octagonal shafts; ridge stack to
right of centre has 3 attached and rebated shafts with moulded capping.
Carvings of bull's heads to 3 lead rainwater heads. Right return in similar
style with canted bay window and gabled Gothic-style billiard room to right.
1878 addition to left or main range: 2 storeys with gable to right of
centre ; 3 wooden mullioned and transomed windows on each floor with narrow
rectangular sash window on first floor to left. Gothic panelled door
to left with rectangular overlight and coat-of-arms above with inscription
"TVBO 1878" in raised lettering. Ridge stacks to left and right of centre
with tops rebuilt in C20 purple brick. Roughly contemporary brick service
ranges attached at right-angles to rear. Balustrade: attached to right
side of porch has alternating quatrefoil and radiating wheel decoration
with slight projection to centre on all 3 sides. Archway: attached to
billiard room has 4-centred arch with dripstone and octagonal finials to
corners. Coat-of-arms depicting bull's head and bird to centre. Gabled
outbuilding attached to right has datestone "1850". Interior. Panelled
entrance hall has stone-flagged floor. Oak staircase of c.1768 with
twisted balusters, carved open string and wreathed ramped handrail having
balusters grouped together as newels to bottom. Panelled dado and later cast-iron
lamp stands with irontwist shafts to bottom of staircase; elaborate plaster
decoration to side walls. Mid-C19 wooden fireplace overmantel to rear
of hall has carving of battle-scene, reminiscent of Michelangelo's "Battle
of the Centaurs". Contemporary vaulted plaster ceiling. Similar ceilings
to other rooms, including to front room of right return, but room to left
of entrance hall has coffered ceiling and carving of grapes to cornice.
Adam-style marble fireplaces and C19 panelled window shutters throughout
to ground floor. R. Lloyd Kenyon, 'The Township of Tedsmere', Trans.
Salop Arch. Soc. 3rd series, vol ii (1902) pp. 405-6.
Listing NGR: SJ3671825442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings