This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9163 / 52°54'58"N
Longitude: -3.0708 / 3°4'14"W
OS Eastings: 328096
OS Northings: 335968
OS Grid: SJ280359
Mapcode National: GBR 72.NBL7
Mapcode Global: WH78C.SYXN
Entry Name: Quinta Congregational Church
Listing Date: 2 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054208
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255812
Location: Weston Rhyn, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Weston Rhyn
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Weston Rhyn St John
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WESTON RHYN C.P. BRONYGARTH ROAD (north
SJ 23 NE
1/98 Quinta Congregational Church
Shown on O.S. map as Quinta Chapel.
Congregational Church. 1858 for Thomas Barnes with later additions and
alterations. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar; banded slate roofs with coped
verges and ornamental cresting. Nave; chancel; south-west steeple and
south porch: north aisle and vestry. Decorated style. Nave: buttressed
in 6 bays has 2-light windows with mouchettes to 3 eastern bays on south.
Third bay from west occupied by wide gabled porch with ornamental wrought-
iron gates to pointed outer doorway. Decorated-style window to left.
West window of 3 cusped lights with mouchettes above; pointed doorway to
right. South-west steeple: flush with nave in 4 stages plus belfry and
spine,has cusped lancet to second stage on west. Open octagonal belfry
has square-headed openings with cusped tracery to top surmounted by stone
spire with weathervane. Lean-to north aisle: buttressed in 5 bays with
windows similar to nave and prominent gabled eaves dormer to east bay.
2-light window with Y-tracery over lean-to building linking aisle with vestry.
This is dated 1893: square plan with hipped roof and plain corbel table.
Short one-bay chancel: roundel with mouchettes to east wall and broad cusped
lancets on north and south. Decorated iron crosses to west gable of nave
and to porch and probably formerly to east gables of nave and chancel. Interior.
Arch-braced roof in 6 bays to nave. Pointed double-chamfered chancel
arch. Pews, font and other fittings of 1928. Monument. Tablet dated
1908 to Thomas Barnes, founder and builder of church in 1858. Kelly's
Directory of Shropshire (1900) p.277.
Listing NGR: SJ2809635968
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings