History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tyn-Y-Rhos Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston Rhyn, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9173 / 52°55'2"N

Longitude: -3.0846 / 3°5'4"W

OS Eastings: 327167

OS Northings: 336097

OS Grid: SJ271360

Mapcode National: GBR 72.N76X

Mapcode Global: WH78C.LXBW

Entry Name: Tyn-Y-Rhos Hall

Listing Date: 2 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054210

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255819

Location: Weston Rhyn, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Weston Rhyn

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Weston Rhyn St John

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Chirk

Listing Text

WESTON RHYN C.P. RHOS
SJ 23 NE
1/105 Tyn-y-Rhos Hall
II
Farmhouse, now house. 1711 remodelling for Edward and Alice Phillips
of earlier building with later additions and alterations. Rendered timber
frame, brick and uncoursed limestone rubble; slate roofs. 4 gables to
front, right wider and probably representing earliest surviving part of
house. 2 storeys plus attic to cross-wing. 1:1:1:2 bays; C19 three-
light wooden mullioned windows in moulded stone surrounds to first floor
with similar mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor of right gable.
Late C19 canted bay window to middle of 3 left gables, which all have imitation
angle quoins and C19 cusped bargeboards with pointed finials; similar barge-
boards and finial to right gable. Main entrance in third gable from left
through boarded door in moulded wood surround under late C20 open lean-
to porch with roof supported by C19 fluted Doric columns, said to have
been brought from demolished houses in Liverpool. 4-panel door to left
gable has pedimented hood reusing C17 decorative panelling, including carvings
of sea monsters; similar half-glazed door with pedimented hood to centre
of right gable. Prominent external lateral stack to right gable has 3
attached and rebated yellow brick shafts with toothed capping; subsidiary
external lateral brick stack to right and infilled window to left on first
floor. C19 rendered stacks with paired and rebated yellow brick shafts
and toothed capping in valleys between 2 left gables and between 2 right
gables. Moulded datestone "P / EA / 1711" (Edward and Alice Phillips)
directly below attic window to right gable. Interior. Much C19 remodelling
but C17 decorative panelling, including grotesque figures and other carving
(some probably brought from elsewhere), reused throughout, especially in
fireplaces and doors. C18 staircase with turned balusters reuses C17
decorative panelling to dado. Chamfered ceiling beams, some boxed in,
to both floors and wide boarded oak floor boards to first floor. Roof
of right gable has raking struts from tie beams to principal rafters, and
incorporates several reused timbers.


Listing NGR: SJ2716736097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.