History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Lock Keeper's Cottage Approximately 100 Metres South of New Marton Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Selattyn and Gobowen, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9061 / 52°54'22"N

Longitude: -2.9995 / 2°59'58"W

OS Eastings: 332870

OS Northings: 334766

OS Grid: SJ328347

Mapcode National: GBR 75.NXJJ

Mapcode Global: WH89Q.W6TY

Entry Name: Former Lock Keeper's Cottage Approximately 100 Metres South of New Marton Bridge

Listing Date: 2 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054230

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255761

Location: Selattyn and Gobowen, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Selattyn and Gobowen

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Gobowen All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Whittington

Listing Text

SELATTYN AND GOBOWEN C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
SJ 33 SW
(west side)
5/48
Former lock-keeper's
cottage approx. l00m
south of New Marton
Bridge
II
Lock-keeper's cottage, now house. Circa 1801 with later additions and
alterations on William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal.
Painted brick; hipped slate roof. Square plan. 2 storeys. 2-window
front with plain pilaster strips to angles and centre; C19 casements,directly
below eaves to first floor and with segmental heads to ground floor, right
infilled and with mid-C20 casement inserted. Entrance through gabled porch
with boarded door to left wall; central red brick ridge stack with moulded
capping. This section of the former Ellesmere Canal was completed c.1801.
The Ellesmere Canal Company amalgamated with the Chester Canal Company in
1813 and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. New Marton Bridge
is not included in this list. Charles Hadfield, Canals of the West Midlands
(3rd edn. 1985) p.173.


Listing NGR: SJ3287034765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.