This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9202 / 52°55'12"N
Longitude: -3.038 / 3°2'16"W
OS Eastings: 330307
OS Northings: 336370
OS Grid: SJ303363
Mapcode National: GBR 74.N0JV
Mapcode Global: WH89J.9VLN
Entry Name: Bryngwilla Lodge
Listing Date: 2 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054251
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255717
Location: St. Martin's, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: St. Martin's
Civil Parish/community: St Martin's
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: St Martin's St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ST. MARTIN'S C.P. B.5070 (north side)
SJ 33 NW
2/5 Bryngwilla Lodge
Entrance lodge, now disused. Early C19 for Charlotte, Lady Dungannon.
Tooled sandstone ashlar; low-pitched slate roof concealed by embattled parapet.
Castellated Gothic style. Central pointed archway with clustered columns
and embattled parapet, rounded to ends. Octagonal corner turrets to front
and rear, also with moulded cornice and embattled parapets plus cruciform-
shaped spike finials with globes to intersections. Lower side ranges,
forming living accommodation, also with cornice, embattled parapet and
octagonal corner turrets. Blind rectangular slits to turrets together
with mock gun-loops to tops of outer turrets. 3-light windows to flanking
ranges have intersecting tracery with cast-iron casements and moulded hood-
moulds. Flanking walls to left and right to front and rear, open to ends;
right formerly incorporating later lean-to. Wrought-iron gates to archway
have variety of Gothic motifs including rosettes, quatrefoils and poppy-
head finials. Rib-vaulted roof with wooden ribs and foliated plaster boss.
Round-headed arched recesses with stone seats to sides and ogee-headed door-
ways to flanking ranges with Gothic traceried panelling to doors. Interior:
flanking ranges retain original plaster cornices and wooden skirting boards
and dado rails. Early C19 fireplace to left range. Bryngwilla Lodge
stands at the entrance to the south drive to Brynkinalt (Clwyd), an early C17
house, extensively remodelled between c.1808 and c.1812. Edward Hubbard,
The Buildings of Wales, Clwyd (1986) pp. 112-13.
Listing NGR: SJ3030736370
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings